FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ELECTIONS
What requirements must be met to register to vote?
– You must be a US Citizen;
– You must be 18 years of age by the next election;
– You must be a resident of Mercer County for at least 30 days prior to the election.
When would I have to re-register?
– If you move to another county in New Jersey.
– If you have changed your name.
When do I have to register to vote to be eligible to vote in the next election?
You may register at any time prior to the 21st day before any election.
When do I have to register to vote to be eligible to vote in the general election on November 2, 20010?
You may register at any time prior to the 21st day before any election. (Last day to register for this general election is October 12, 2010.)
Where do I register to vote?
– At the Borough of Hopewell Municipal Clerks’ Office at Borough Hall;
– At the Mercer County Board of Elections Building, 640 South Broad Street, Trenton.
Can I register by mail?
Yes, by completing a mail-in registration form (available at Borough Hall). If your move is within Mercer County and you are a registered voter, a change of address card is all that is needed.
When are the Primary and General Elections?
– The primary Election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in June. This year the primary is on June 3, 2014.
– The General Election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. This year the general is on November 24 2014.
How do I change my party affiliation?
A Political Party Affiliation Declaration Form must be filled out and received by the Mercer County Board of Elections no later than 50 days prior to the Election.
If I have never voted in a Primary election before, may I vote in one now?
Yes, but you must declare a party at the polls on Primary Election Day.
Who may apply for Vote-By-Mail Ballots?
A registered voter no longer needs to state a reason in order to vote by absentee ballot. This option is now open to all registered voters.
Who may apply for a Military Absentee Ballot?
Military personnel and their dependents may vote without being registered.
Where can I deliver my Vote-By-Mail Ballot?
You can deliver your absentee Ballot, in person, to the County Clerk’s Office, 209 S. Broad Street, Trenton, no later than 3:00 PM the day before the election.
What time are the polls open?
– School Board elections: 7:00 – 9:00 PM
– Primary and General elections: 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Where do I vote for the Primary and General Elections?
Both Districts #1 and #2 vote at Borough Hall, 88 East Broad Street, Hopewell.
Please contact Borough Hall at 609-466-2636 with any other questions, or contact the Mercer County Board of Elections at 609-989-6522.