Where should you apply for a marriage license?
If you are getting married outside of NJ, you must contact the State where you are getting married for information on how to obtain a marriage license.  If you live in NJ and are getting married in NJ, you must apply in the town where either applicant live.  If neither person lives in NJ, you must apply in the town where the marriage is taking place.

When should you apply for a marriage license?
Be sure to contact the Registrar (609) 466-2636 well in advance of the wedding to find out on what days and during what hours the Registrar will be in the office. It is important to note that the Registrar will not issue a marriage license sooner than 72 hours after the application for a marriage license has been made.

What is the fee for a marriage license?
$28.00, due at the time of application, in the form of a check or money order made out to the Borough of Hopewell, or $28 exact change.

What should you bring with you when you apply?
A witness 18 or older must accompany the couple requesting a marriage license.  Current valid driver’s license or  valid passports  will be requested for proof of age and parentage. If one or both of the applicants are divorced, you will need to bring a copy of the final decree or decrees for examination by the Registrar or a statement by the judge as to when the final decree was signed (not the date of the final hearing). Both applicants will provide their Social Security numbers, name of the municipality in which you are getting married, and name and address of person performing the ceremony.

Picking up your license:
Anytime after the 72 hour waiting period, call (609) 466-2636 to schedule a time to pick up the license.  Licenses are valid for 30 days from the time of pick up (meaning you must pick up your license within 30 days of the wedding date).  You will be given your incomplete license at this time to take to the person who is performing your ceremony (the officiant).  The officiant will complete the license, keep the blue copy for their records and give a pink copy to you.  The officiant will then file the 2 white copies with the town where the marriage took place within 5 days.  The pink copy you will receive is not a legal, certified copy required for social security and name changes.  You must request certified copies, and pay for them from the town where the marriage took place.

Getting a Certified Copy of a Marriage License:
If you were married in Borough and would like a certified copy of your marriage license, first call the Registrar, Regina Toth, at 609-466-2636 to give notice. There is a $10.00 fee for each copy requested.