Hopewell Borough Engineer:  Dennis W. O’Neal, P.E., C.M.E., P.P.

Please contact the Borough Administrator at 609-466-2636 ( with requests for the Borough Engineer

The Engineering Department provides technical support on capital improvement projects ranging from concept development through engineering design and construction inspection. The Department is also involved in the review of development applications before the Planning Board.  Inspection services are provided on approved development projects after the performance bond is posted and permits are issued.

Periodically, the Engineering Department develops updates to the Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance to implement recommendations of the Planning Board and Borough Council. Other services include road improvement design, tax map and zone map revisions, studies to evaluate sewer rates, capacity studies of storm sewers, traffic studies and evaluations of County and State projects within the Borough.


New FEMA DFIRM Maps took effect 7/16/16.  Click here for more information:
FEMA Flood Map Service Center:
Flood Zone Definitions:
Important information for property owners:

  • Flood insurance requirements affect structures that are located within any flood zone that starts with the letter “V” or “A” and there are federal dollars associated with the structure (typically a federally insured mortgage or a federal grant). If there are no federal dollars associated with the structure, there is no federal mandate for the purchase of flood insurance.
  •  A lender has the legal right to require flood insurance coverage regardless of the structure’s flood zone.
  • If an owner desires to prevent an existing structure, that was not located in a flood zone on the older Q3 flood zone maps, but will be located in any flood zone starting with the letter “V” or “A”, from having a flood insurance requirement, they can apply for a Letter of Map Change (LOMC).
  • FEMA uses the term Letter of Map Change (LOMC) to collectively reference the processes for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letter of Map Revision Based on Fill (LOMR-F). If a property owner has a valid Elevation Certificate for a structure and desires to remove the structure from the FEMA-designated Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), labeled Zone A, Zone AH, Zone AE, or Zone VE on the County DFIRM, application forms are available from FEMA for a LOMA or a LOMR-F. In order to be considered eligible for either the LOMA or LOMR-F, both the lowest floor elevation and the lowest adjacent grade elevation (shown on the Elevation Certificate) must be equal to or higher than the FEMA-designated flood elevation for that location. Additional information to help you better understand the LOMA process is available at the following FEMA web site.