DISABLED VETERAN DEDUCTION
(Click here for Disabled Veteran Deduction application)
Eligibility requirements (must meet all five requirements):
– Have had active wartime service in U.S. Armed Forces and been honorably discharged;
– Have a U.S. Veterans Administration certification of wartime service-connected disability as described under #5 on the DVSSE Claim;
– Wholly own or hold legal title to the dwelling house for which exemption is claimed;
– Occupy the dwelling house as the principal residence;
– Be a citizen and legal or domiciliary resident of New Jersey.
FARMLAND ASSESSMENT APPLICATIONS
(Click here for Farmland Assessment application)
– Land must be actively devoted to agricultural or horticultural use for at least two years preceding the tax year for which the farmland assessment is requested;
– The area of land, exclusive of the land upon which the farmhouse is located, is not less than five (5) acres;
– Income requirements must be met;
– Application by the owner must be filed on or before August 1st of the year immediately preceding the tax year.
SENIOR CITIZEN DEDUCTION
(Click here For Senior Citizen Deduction info)
As of October 1st of the pretax year, a property owner may apply for a Senior Citizen, Disabled Person or Surviving Spouse of a Senior Citizen or Disabled Person deduction if the following criteria are met:
– Must be a citizen and resident of New Jersey;
– Hold legal title to the property for which the deduction is claimed;
– Residence in New Jersey for one year immediately prior to October 1st pretax year;
– Claimant must reasonably anticipate an annual income not to exceed $10,000 after a permitted exclusion of Social Security Benefits, or Federal Railroad Retirement, Federal Pensions and State Pensions of disability programs;
– Senior Citizen age 65 or older as of December 31st pretax year;
– Surviving spouse age 55 or more as of December 31st pretax year AND at the time of spouse’s death.
SENIOR FREEZE (Property Tax Reimbursement):
– To ask questions or to order an application: 1-800-882-6597
– To check the status of a filed applicatin: 1-800-882-6597
– To listen to information: 1-800-323-4400
– In person assistance at Taxation Regional Offices www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ot1.shtml
– Online information: www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ptr/index.shtml
VETERAN’S TAX DEDUCTION
(Click here for Veteran Deduction Info)
– Must be a citizen and resident of New Jersey as of October 1st of the pretax year;
– Must hold legal title to the property for which the deduction is claimed.
– Active wartime service in the US Armed Forces and been honorably discharged.
Surviving Spouse of a Veteran Claimant:
– Document that the deceased veteran was a citizen and resident of NJ at death, who had active wartime service in the US and was honorably discharged or died on active wartime duty;
– Nor have remarried;
– Legal resident of NJ and owns the property for which the deduction is claimed.
Forms for the above applications and deductions may also be obtained from either the Hopewell Borough Tax Assessor (Chris Fuges, 609-737-9194) or the Hopewell Borough Tax Collector (Donna Griffiths, Tues. 3:30- 5:30pm at 609-466-0965).