Civil Union Instructions

Where to apply:

If you are having a ceremony outside of NJ, you must contact the State where your ceremony is taking place for information on how to obtain a civil union.

If you are obtaining a civil union license from NJ, the ceremony must occur in NJ.

If you live in NJ and your ceremony will be in NJ, you must apply in the town where either applicant lives.

If neither person lives in NJ, you must apply in the town in NJ where the civil union is taking place.

How to apply in Hopewell Borough:
You must make an appointment to appear in person with a witness.  The witness must be 18 years of age and know both applicants.  Please call (609) 466-2636 to make an appointment.  We are located at 88 East Briad Street, Hopewell, NJ  08525.

What should you bring with you when you apply?
A witness 18 or older must accompany the couple requesting a civil union  license.  Original birth certificates with a raised seal or valid passports will be requested for proof of age and parentage.  If one or both of the applicants are divorced, or were in a prior civil union, you will need to bring a copy of the final decree or decrees for examination by the Registrar or a statement by the judge as to when the final decree was signed (not the date of the final hearing). Both applicants will provide their Social Security numbers, name of the municipality in which you are getting married, and name and address of person performing the ceremony.  $28.00, due at the time of application, exact change or check made out to the Borough of Hopewell.

Picking Up Your License:
Anytime after the 72-hour waiting period, call (609) 466-2636 to schedule a time to pick up the license.  Licenses are valid for 30 days from the time of pick up (meaning you must pick up your license within 30 days of the civil union date).  You will be given your incomplete license at this time to take to the person who is performing your ceremony (the officiant).  The officiant will complete the license, keep the blue copy for their records and give a pink copy to you.  The officiant will then file the 2 white copies with the town where the civil union took place within 5 days.  The pink copy you will receive is not a legal, certified copy required for social security and name changes.  You must request certified copies, and pay for them from the town where the civil union took place.

If your civil union took place in the Borough and would like a certified copy of your civil union license, first call the Registrar at 609-466-2636 to give notice. There is a $10.00 fee for each copy requested.

Name Changes:
It should be noted that Federal agencies do not recognize civil unions and will not use a certified copy of a civil union as proof of a name change.  Federal agencies include Social Security and passport agencies.  We recommend you obtain a legal name change authorized through a court.  For information on legal name changes, please see the following website: